15/02/2010

11. Super Mario World


(SNES/GB Advance/Virtual Console, Nintendo, 1990)
As we approach the end of this list it is notable that few Nintendo games made the cut. The list is completely random so there is no big conspiracy here. Also, I am a huge fan of the majority of Nintendo's first party software, or at least I was, looking at my Wii as it gathers dust underneath my PS2, I think my fandom waned a long time ago.
Nintendo, in a strong and very successful attempt to lead the mainstream videogame charge into the new decade, have basically turned their backs on their faithful audience. Nintendo have let their unblemished track record slip and have resorted to slapping together easy sale games and marketing them with tacky, classless and sometimes arguably false advertising. Throughout this, their die-hard fans remain true and faithful to the big N, despite being slapped in the face then kicked in the balls.
The reason is that these fans know what Nintendo are truly capable of when not shilling awful brain and body trainers to people who like being fashionable but hate videogames. Back when no-one could give a damn or even conceive the idea of a Wii heart-rate sensor, Nintendo were busy making games like Super Mario World.

A launch game for the Super Nintendo, one of the finest videogame consoles EVER produced, Mario World saw the faithful plumber mascot transported to a typically cutesy prehistoric world, featuring all the classic Mario styles, enemies, platform jumping, power-up and coin collecting action one would expect from this never fail series. The player guides the iconic hero across the map and through a possible ninety-six exits leading to the far reaches of the map and beyond. The new power-up this time around was a feather which granted Mario a cape for fast gliding fun. Yoshi was the Scrappy Doo sidekick this installment, but manages not to be too annoying and is actually of genuine use.

Every inch of Super Mario World screams class, effort and professionalism, from the crisp and colourful graphics to the fantastic music and sounds. The game features many visual and audio effects that show off the capabilities that the SNES brought to home gaming, not only is Mario World an incredible game, it showcases the new console at its finest like all launch games should. There is immense replay value to be had trawling through the various locations. I have played through the game repeatedly and will continue to do so for the rest of my days. Even upon unlocking all the levels the temptation to wipe your save file and start again is a strong one, you almost can't get "too much" of Mario World. I truly believe that.

I also truly believe Nintendo have lost their focus, their flip-flop attitude toward third parties, shallow advertising tactics and terrible gimmicks (such as games where you score yourself and games which play themselves if you get stuck) have turned them from honorable videogame giants to Fisher Price-esque toymakers.
That is an essay in itself, I can explain my points better elsewhere and I'm sure Nintendo fans would disagree with me anyway, which is fair enough.

Please do not read this as a negative entry. I rage against Nintendo only because of their fall from a commitment to absolute excellence. The better you are, the easier your standards can slip and as Mario Bros/Kart, Zelda, Starfox, Metroid, Punch-out etc prove, Nintendo were the very, very best.
I think Super Mario World is a perfect game, it is one of the best games ever made on one of the best consoles ever produced. Super Mario World is a symbol of everything Nintendo was capable of achieving when five star gaming everytime was their top priority, not selling gimmicky consoles to bored soccer moms.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please visit: http://swabbleflange.blogspot.com/2007/08/8-super-mario-world-super-nintendo.html for a far less cynical and more deserving write up on this fine game.

2 comments:

JohnnyBeatdown said...

Im sorry. I really didn't intend or want this entry to be so downbeat. I considered re-writing the whole thing, but you gotta be true to yourself I guess.

Super Mario World is a beautiful game par excellence, like a lot of Nintendo games are. That doesn't change the way I feel about Nintendo's current attitude toward games, business, or their long term faithful fans.

It makes me very sad and angry indeed and unfortunatly that has spilled all over this entry.
A real shame.

Ryan said...

It's alright, I forgive you. Never liked this game anyway. Might I voice my concerns over the thin amount of Sega stuff in the list?